About the ESA
The European Student Assembly (ESA) is a grassroots project that gathers each year more than 220 students from the European Universities Alliances (EUAs) to debate current issues, draft policy recommendations on the future of Europe and advocate them among stakeholders and decision-makers. One of the flagship projects of the European Universities Community (EUC), co-funded by the European Union, the ESA is entirely designed and implemented by a steering committee composed of students and academic staff members from different higher education institutions in Europe.
What are the objectives of the ESA?
- Voicing the opinion of EUA students from different countries, backgrounds, fields and levels of study, all recruited for their engagement and motivation.
- Fostering the participation of students within EUAs while reinforcing collaboration between them and increasing the impact and visibility of the EUA initiative.
- Advocating deliberative processes as a way to regenerate European democracy and to reduce the gap between citizens and decision-makers.
- Encouraging students to get involved in European politics at local, national and European level and increase their participation in European democratic processes.
The participants of the ESA 2024 will produce a collection of policy recommendations on 11 debating topics.
Student representatives of Ulysseus at the European Parliament at the ESA 2023
New applications taken for #ESA24
- Applications are open to students from all nationalities, fields and levels of study as long as they are registered in a higher education institution participating in one of the 50 Erasmus+ European University Alliances
- Applications are now open until 5 November 2023, 23:59 (UTC+1)).
- While filling in the form, you will be asked if you wish to apply as a participant only, as a panel coordinator only, or as both. In any case, you are required to submit only one application.
- Applicants are asked to answer questions in the application form (maximum 200 words for each question).
- Before applying, please check that your higher education institution is involved in a European University Alliance. If you are a student of one the member universities that make up Ulysseus, you can apply!
- Students who did not participate in previous editions of ESA may apply as participant and/or panel coordinator.
- Please note that students who participated in previous editions of ESA may only apply as panel coordinators. Former coordinators cannot apply anymore.
- Please note that members of the faculty are not eligible unless they are PhD candidates.
#ESA24 visual image from @euc_esa
Key deadlines for #ESA24
- 28 September 2023 – Opening of the application platform
- 11 October 2023 (6:30 pm UTC+1) – Informative session dedicated to students. Join here.
- 5 November 2023 (11:59 pm UTC+1) – Closing of the application platform
- 15 December 2023 – Coordinators selection results
- 10 January 2024 – Coordinators onboarding sessions
- 15 January 2024 – Participants selection results
- 24 January 2024 – Participants onboarding session
- January – April 2024 – Online preparation phase
- 10-12 April 2024 – European Student Assembly at the European Parliament in Strasbourg
Testimonial from Carmela Simmarano
Carmela Simmarano explained in our fifth episode of Discovering Ulysseus her experience after visiting the European Parliament for the #ESA23.
Here, students had the opportunity to draft some recommendations on key challenges for Europe.
What does she think about involving young people in European policy matters?
Are young people are aware of the importance of European politics in our daily lives?
Would you like to participate in the #ESA2024? The application process is only open until 5 November 2023!